Thursday, June 05, 2008

David Sedaris on the Daily Show talking about smoking in Japan

Author David Sedaris was promoting his new book, When You Are Engulfed in Flames, on the Daily Show. A part of the book is about how Sedaris quit smoking while he was staying in Hiroshima for two months. During his interview, Sedaris mentions signs that he saw. When he described them (he embellished on the wording for humorous effect) I knew exactly what he was talking about: The JT (Meet your delight!) signs about smoking manners.

Here's the interview:


Here are the signs in question (images so so so stolen from the JT site):
(I have no idea why the helicopter is there. To add scale?)
don't burn me!

(I've never even thought about this.)


You can view the complete gallery here. Here are some of my favorites:

(What is he doing???)


(Boy, people back in the Showa era sure were dapper. I think the guy is related to the guy in the crosswalk signal.)


(The influence of American culture rears it's ugly head again!)


(Cruel but so tempting.)


(Tobacco ray activate!)


Note: I am a non-smoker but if people want to smoke, then so be it.

3 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Those signs are funny! And they do make you think. I'm going to have to show them to my hubby.

Arsenette said...

Okay that's the funniest thing I've ever ready LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't smoke either.. btw.. thanks for the John Stewart clip. That's just a great interview!

pamwax said...

Fantastic. So funny. Wish I could have quit smoking like he did. Sounds alot more fun then the way I did it. Thanks for the entertainment .

ShareThis